Getting into the home of your dreams can be a challenge. Whether this is your first home purchase or your fifth, ensure a smooth home-buying process by working with an Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR). An ABR has specialized knowledge and experience to make sure your home buying process is straightforward and successful.
The ABR designation is awarded by the Real Estate Buyer’s Agent Council (REBAC), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the National Association of REALTORS (NAR). To learn more about the council, please visit www.REBAC.net.
It is important to know that the ABR designation is only awarded to licensed real estate professionals after they complete specialized training and demonstrate experience working with buyers. The training helps the agent to better understand the buyer’s perspective, along with how to effectively represent the buyer-client.
Working with an ABR means your agent has chosen to go above and beyond the normal license requirements and that you will be well represented in your purchase.
All agents who work with a buyer should do the following:
- Ask questions to help understand your specific needs and wants from a home.
- Help you determine how much you can afford, and assist you in getting pre-approved for a mortgage.
- Preview properties for you, and accompany you to viewings/showings, even open houses.
- Provide a list of qualified service providers, including home inspectors, attorneys, mortgage lenders, radon test operators, etc.
- Concentrate on the details of the process and keep accurate records so you can focus on and enjoy your new home.
An ABR will do even more however, including the following:
- Help you establish the market value of the home you are interested in purchasing, by doing a comprehensive market analysis for you.
- Help you to estimate the costs of improvements, changes, or needed repairs and/or updates.
- Advise you in creating/making an offer on a home, along with mapping out a negotiation strategy.
- Put your interests first throughout the process.
- Give you advice, counsel and their professional opinion.
If you are looking to purchase a home, make sure you seek an agent with the ABR designation to help make your home-buying process easy and successful. If you have any other questions about how an ABR designated agent can help you get in to your home, email me or call me today!